Sunday, June 10, 2007

2 days into the wait...

Well, it's only two days into the wait and so far so good, I have been trying to to think about it too much but I do find myself looking at my tum and wondering what's going on in there, hoping and praying that my "little two" are growing and getting ready to implant soon, they should have loads of cells by now!!

I really don't have any interesting news at all actually, i must say tho that IVF certainly does make you feel a bit different - I am very bloated and have sore boobies, but I have this since my retrieval so I know not to obsess about it but I definately have noticed that your body doesn't feel the same as when you've gone through a normal cycle.

I was reading comments on my blog yesterday and came across a comment from Erin, so as one normally does, I went to check out her blog to find that she had written a little blurb about something I said in my post, I actually feel a bit bad (i'm sure she wasn't aiming at that) because I didn't explain myself correctly when telling you guys about the 6 celled embie...so, I went and looked it up and I was correct but just didn't say it right...so, now I am trying to explain myself clearly (with pics for your viewing pleasure)....

I have found this: A normal zygote (1 day after fertalisation) should look like this:
2 pronuclei are seen - A polar body is at one o'clock - The upper pronucleus contains maternal DNA and the lower pronucleus contains paternal DNA
..
An abnormal zygote would look like this but can still carry on growing:
3 pronuclei are seen in the center of the cell - Each pronucleus contains 23 chromosomes -This embryo has 69 chromosomes instead of the normal 46

I haven't been able to find a pic of a zygote with only one pronucleus, basically our embryo should have had 46 chromosomes but ended up with 23 and shouldn't have gone any further, there are doctors who would transfer these embryo's and see what happens but I think that most of the time they would result in a blighted ovum type pregnancy (I may be wrong tho). There are cases where the zygote has 3 pronuclei and one was removed, these can go on to be normal pregnancies and babies.

Anyway, what I am trying to say is...yes, we are lucky, our Dr's do go into detail with us and I think that they just think it's better, we had 16 eggs and wanted to know what happened to the other 11 and so they told us, I think it's great. I also want to say that my Dr did not say that it was a freak of nature at all, he just said that he didn't think that it was suitable to use, I called it a freak of nature.

Erin sweetie, I really feel for you, your Dr does sound like he doesn't give you all the information you require, some Dr's do that, I've been to many. IVF is a huge thing, maybe think of changing your Dr if you can? The reason your embryo's didn't take or weren't good quality could be totally different to the reasons some of ours didn't, if you need to know then tell him to tell you straight out what the problems were? Thanks for the well wishes, I truly pray your next IVF goes better....Hugs xxx

Anyway, with that cleared up - I'm off to the couch!! Love to you all....

10 comments:

TeamWinks said...

Sounds like a good explanation.

Sarah said...

isn't it amazing the things we find ourselves learning? much of it i didn't want to know...

Carrie said...

Sarah is right. I now have more knowledge than I ever wanted. It is interesting though, just a shame we all have such reasons to find it out.

Your Dr sounds like a gem. I'm not sure there are that many of them around?

ultimatejourney said...

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I'm glad the wait is going well. Enjoy the couch.

Leah said...

Interesting info, thanks for sharing. I too can't resist patting my hand on my belly every now and again, wondering just what's going on in there. I'm still so happy that everything went so well with your transfer, here's hoping the next 2 weeks go by at light speed for us!

Tam said...

Hey girls,

Just want to say Sorry if I offended any of you by giving too much info, sometimes I feel like I need to explain myself better. I know a lot of you would rather not know these things but I like the info, it makes me feel a bit more in control (even tho I know I'm not)...

Mandy said...

Hiya, just wanted to pop in and let you know that I am thinking of you lots! Hope those little embies are hanging on tight!
Coffee next weekend sounds fab. We are spending a lot of time fixing up the new (old) house, but I would love to meet up again.

Baby Blues said...

I'm so excited for you Tam! I'm right here cheering you on through the wait. Grow little ones!

Erin said...

I'm so glad you know I wasn't trying to make you feel bad! Thanks for the further research and explanation. I still think my RE should have been more frank with me, but what can you do? His line is "poor egg quality" and that's it. But thanks to your two posts, I will be well-armed this time with loads of questions.

I'm really excited for you this cycle - good luck!

Mama Bear said...

So interesting! Thanks for sharing all of this--it's really helpful to hear everything you've gone through and experienced as I'm looking down the ivf barrel!

I hope you and the l'il embies are doing well!