Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Another bump in the road....

Okay, so now we have a real reason for waiting - not just that gut feel!

Dr V phoned me yesterday after I'd sent him a mail to tell him that we had decided to wait. He says that Frank's FSH is way too low. So, get this....they putting him on menopur injections!!!

He starts tomorrow, 75iu every Monday, Wednesday & Friday for 6 weeks, this means another 2 rounds of BCP for me instead of just one but what can you do? Apparently the menopur should make his FSH higher and therefore improve his count, morphology and hopefully quality of the sperm.

I'll schedule my BCP to end on the same day that he finishes the menopur and then we'll start stimms straight away. They'll probably do another SA at the end of it too, just to make sure that the treatment has worked, maybe another FSH test too.

Dr V said that he looked back on Frank's bloods that he had for our IVF and his FSH was low then already so something should have been done before we did our IVF, so I must say that I am a bit pissed that someone missed this but it's water under the bridge now. Now we have a possible reason for our embies not taking as sperm quality definately has an impact on whether an embryo makes it to a baby or not.

Initially Frank was okay with the treatment, until he read up on all the side effects menopur can have on men, one of the side effects is breast enlargement, he has said that should this happen, he's stopping treatment - I do understand but geez, men can be difficult! I'll mail Dr V again and just raise Frank's concerns but I do think that it's really rare and that it could happen if you were on it for too long and maybe higher dosages. I do hope that the side effects are minimal tho....it could be a really long six weeks!!

It's costing us quite a bit, almost half of what my stimms would cost if I was doing IVF now, so really not a nice surprise at all but hopefully this is what we need to do the trick....we're a bit tired of all these bumps in the road but what can you do. You live.....and learn.

9 comments:

Charnè said...

hey Tam

hope all goes well and that Frank does not have side effects from the menopur..

i can imagine you a bit upset no one picked this up before but at least they have now, and as you say water under the bridge

thinking of you

xxx

Anonymous said...

My friend, I know this is tough, but remember everything happens for a reason. We'll never know what the reason is until we past the challenge but it is there regardless. Thinking of you! Anytime you need to chat, you give me a call - ok? Love ya!

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Sorry about the delay in your plans and I'm glad they caught the FSH level. Thinking of you both as always and hope you can have some fun and relaxation these next few months. (Winter in your part of the world, right?) Best, Martha

One View said...

Just stopping and by and seeing how things are progressing. Sorry to hear about your delay and Francks FSH levels. But its encouraging to hear that there are some answers and I hope this does the trick. Good luck and I hope there aren't any side affects. Thinking of you.

stickybun07 said...

It's great that you had made the tough decision to wait before you got the news about the SA. While waiting is hard, this confirms that your gut was giving you good advice.

I hope the menopur does the trick. Hang in there with the extra cycle on the bcps.

Sarah said...

ugh, how aggravating that the problem went undetected before the previous attempt! still it is nice to feel that something is being done differently this time, being resolved, that maybe will make the difference. i certainly hope so!

ultimatejourney said...

How frustrating to find out about the FSH problem so late.

Fingers crossed that the treatments are side-effect-free and that they improve your IVF results.

anna said...

In a way this is really good news...it could be an answer for why things didn't work before and why they'll work this time around. Can you tell that I'm so very hopeful for you?! I hope Frank doesn't grow boobs and that the ball gets rolling once again for you!

Anonymous said...

Really hope that this might be the missing link for you that results in a BFP. Thank goodness they picked up on that before you started stims for your IVF! Hope Frank copes ok with all the hormones. Best of luck!